Syllabus for Analysis of Social Media 10-802 in Fall 2012
This is the syllabus for Social Media Analysis 10-802 in Fall 2012. The slides available may be out of date (from the last version of the class) but will be updated after each lecture.
- Tue 9/11: Overview of the course.
- Thu 9/13: Sentiment 1: Polarity Classification.
- Tue 9/18: Sentiment 2: Subjectivity and Opinion.
- Thu 9/20: Graph background 1: Properties of social networks
- Tue 9/25: Graph background 2: Homophily and social networks
- Due today: Send a list of three papers you plan to summarize to me,Aasish, and Bhavana.
- Thu 9/27: More detail on homophily. (Guest lecture - Cosma Shalizi).
- Due today: One paper summary, to be posted on the wiki. (See the assignments section of the main course page).
- Tue 10/2: Graph Analysis 1: Spectral Methods
- The next two summaries are due. Email pointers to your pages to the sma-instructors email list.
- Thu 10/4: Sense-level sentiment analysis. (Guest lecture from Jan Weibe.)
- Tue 10/9: Graph Analysis 2: Probabilistic Graph Models
- First draft of project proposal is due.
- Thu 10/11: Urban Analytics with Livehoods. (Guest lecture from Justin Cranshaw.)
- Tue 10/16: Sampling from graphs
- Final project proposal is due.
- Thus 10/18: StepGreen. (Guest lecture from Jen Mankoff).
- Tue 10/23: Unsupervised models for text in graphs
- Or maybe, diffusion - I may switch.
- Thus 10/25: Diffusion of Information
- Or maybe, unsupervised models for text in graphs.
- Tues 10/30: Advanced probabilistic models for sentiment and community. (Guest lecture from Ramnath Balasubramanyan).
- Thus 11/1: The Impact of User-Generated Content on Engagement and Commitment in Online Communities (Guest lecture from Yi-Chia Wang.)
- Tues 11/6: Social Networks and Politics
- Tues 11/8: Diffusion and Viral Marketing
- Tues 11/13: Mid-term Project Reports
- Thus 11/15: Mid-term Project Reports
- Tues 11/20: Local Navigation in Small-World Graphs
- Thus 11/22 Thanksgiving - no class!
- Tues 11/27: Linguistic Coordination and Social Contagion
- Thus 11/29: Social Problem-Solving
Tuesday 12/11 at Midnight EST: final projects are due